National Communications Director
The Public Interest Network is a foundry for change organizations. We’ve created or built dozens of long-standing, successful groups including the U.S. PIRG, Environment America, Green Corps, the National Environmental Law Center to name a few.
We stand up to powerful special interests on issues that matter, and we win:
- Environment America led the fight to win Federal Clean Car standards that will get us to 54.5 MPG by 2025. Our state affiliates paved the way by winning similar standards in 14 states through our research, advocacy and organizing.
· In the wake of the 2010 financial crisis, U.S. PIRG won major reform when it helped create the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the first federal agency with the sole purpose of protecting consumers.
- In 2009, The National Environmental Law Center won a landmark case against Shell Oil for their violations of the Clean Air Act. The ensuing settlement cost Shell $5.8 million and forced it to cut illegal emissions by hundreds of thousands of pounds.
This is just a taste of what we do, every single day. You want to work with us because you can see the political narrative behind our work. You share our vision for world where people are talking about solutions and victories to our biggest problems around their dinner tables, a world where we all remember that people, not Shell Oil or the automobile lobby, are the real policy makers.
The Public Interest Network Communications Director is responsible for using every avenue possible to bring this vision to reality. Focusing on new and traditional media audiences, you will get the messages of our many groups out into the world. You will act as both the Communications guru for The Public Interest Network and the in-house consultant to the hundreds of staff at the dozens of organizations within our family.
- Directly coordinate and execute Public Interest Network communications plans including relationships with top national editors, reporters, bloggers and other media decision makers.
- Ensure that each organization, including the Public Interest Network, has excellent and aggressive external communications plans.
- Set national media benchmarks, measure progress, and report to senior Network leadership.
- Consult, train and support staff in developing excellent media campaigns.
- Organize and share information on best practices between communications directors from each groups including organizing an annual team meeting.
- Fundraising to support our communications work, either directly for grants to support this position or to raise money for group-by-group communications.
Los Angeles or Denver. Other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates.
You are ambitious, have a solid understanding of organizational development and planning, and are an exceptional communications strategist. This position offers entrepreneurial challenge with considerable rewards both to you and the citizen movement as a whole. You have at least eight years of relevant communications experience. Candidates with 15 or 20 years of relevant experience are definitely encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is commensurate with the amount of relevant professional experience that a candidate possesses. A competitive benefits package includes educational loan assistance, a 401k retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days, as well as the opportunity to participate in our group health plan. Opportunities for advancement, travel, and additional training are available.
Only online applications will be considered. Apply here, and direct you application to Public Interest Network Political Director Wendy Wendlandt. Please mention where you heard about this position. We'll carefully consider your application and if we think you're a good fit, we'll be in touch.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.